Saturday 4 May 2013

Pachamama








The first Friday of each month many indigenous people perform a special ceremony - an offering of thanks to "Pachamama", or Mother World.  Participants are given four coca leaves and asked to wish on them.  They are arranged in a circle, adorned with various seeds, kernels, and flowers, wrapped up, and burned.  It was explained to me that the smoke from the offering goes to the heavens, the offering itself is representative of earth, and the ashes are buried and said to go to the underworld.  At the end, participants are covered in flower petals, which they said symbolizes solidarity with Pachamama  (sorry for the strange look on my face - the smoke was burning my eyes!).  I went out with friends after this with stray petals still in my hair, and smelling strongly of campfire.  It was interesting to participate in a ceremony of gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment