Sunday 10 May 2015

New adventures in KL

I attended the "Bathing the Buddha" event at a Buddhist Temple. I got to bathe the Buddha and 
tried calligraphy for the first time. This is "Tew" the calligraphy expert at the temple. 


Tew asked me what I wanted to write, I asked him to teach me how to write "Moon" (i.e.: Luna)
Later he wrote my name out. He said the first character of my name means "promise" - I like it!

Here is the line up for people wishing to bathe the Buddha. It's really quite beautiful. At the front, there is a small Buddha statue, a bowl of water, and a bowl of flowers. When you get to the front you bow to the Buddha, touch the surface of the water with your finger tips, bow again, and take a flower with you. It is a way of showing respect for the Buddha. Everyone is barefoot inside the temple, and there is a team of staff making sure everyone has used hand sanitizer before participating. 

Today was Mother's Day. At the temple they have a ceremony where children wash their mother's feet as a sign of deep respect and appreciation. 
Workplace hazard...this sign is no joke. I ran away from a pair of monkeys on my second day on the job.  It's like they knew I was the newbie! 

Yellow watermelon.
Cool looking crabs.


Green Curry - so fragrant and delicious! My favourite so far. 


The only other Mexicans in town. 

My first week in Kuala Lumpur has been a flurry of activity.  I have started work, (mostly) adjusted to the 15 hour time difference, and have had a chance to meet some amazing people. I will post better pictures soon. I haven't had the chance to do much sight seeing as it's been all work since I got here, but...that's why I'm here, and, to be honest, I am loving every minute!





No comments:

Post a Comment