Friday 15 February 2013

Public display of reflection


I pass "La Basílica Menor y Convento de Nuestra Señora de la Merced" on my way to the office every day, most days I take a few moments to go inside.  I don't necessarily do any formal prayers, but I go in there to reflect, think about family, and why I'm here etc.  Which may or may not be considered prayer.  I am not alone.  Tons of people - from all walks of life - filter in and out of the church all morning.  Some wearing suits and ties, others much more humble attire.  Without getting into any religious argument whatsoever (I'm part of the, "to each their own" crowd), I have to say that I find it refreshing to see people who regularly take a moment to reflect on something spiritual and/or something other than their immediate reality.  Also, I believe that the fact that it's done publicly, and with other people, really fosters a sense of community.  Interesting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment